Parasound Zphono XRM
The Parasound Zphono XRM is an extremely well thought out phono stage. As well as both balanced and single ended outputs it features separate MM and MC inputs, both with adjustable gain. The nicest touch is the variable MC impedance control which allows for easy and precise loading for those high achieving moving coil cartridges.
A front panel input switch selects MM and MC input jacks. Each of these jacks has its own circuitry optimised for the cartridge type. This improves the signal-to-noise ratio and overall performance for MM and for both low-output and high-output MC cartridges. A bonus of having separate input jacks with their own circuits is the capability to connect two turntables (or two tone arms mounted on a single turntable). The Stereo/Mono switch combines L and R channels so users can optimise sound quality of mono LPs as well as reducing background noise on worn or poorly stamped pressings.
It doesn’t end there, the Parasound Zphono XRM also features a mono-stereo switch and low frequency rumble filter for those less than pristine LPs. Also of note is a properly designed, purpose built internal power supply. It may not seem logical but many cheap wall packs are responsible for much mains hum and switch mode noise.
- Dual inputs for two turntables (1 x MM, 1 x MC)
- Front panel input select switch
- Front panel mono/stereo mode switch
- Front panel rumble filter switch
- Balanced and unbalanced outputs
- Variable MC impedance adjustment of 50-1050 ohms
- MM Gain options of 40 dB or 50 dB unbalanced (46 dB/56 dB balanced)
- MC Gain options of 50 dB or 60 dB unbalanced (56 dB/66 dB balanced)
- RIAA accurate to within 0.2 dB
- Ultra-low distortion (<0.02% THD)
- Ultra high-speed, low-noise op amps
- Audiophile grade resistors and capacitors
- Gold-plated RCA input and output jacks
- Unique half-rack width chassis; 1 rack space high
- Frequency Response: 20-20 kHz, +/- 0.2 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.02% at 1 kHz
- Signal to Noise Ratio, MM 40 dB Setting: > 94 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted, > 90 dB, input shorted, unweighted
- Signal to Noise Ratio, MM 50 dB Setting: > 94 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted, > 90 dB, input shorted, unweighted
- Signal to Noise Ratio, MC 50 dB Setting: > 92 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted, > 88 dB, input shorted, unweighted
- Signal to Noise Ratio, MC 60 dB Setting: > 82 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted, > 80 dB, input shorted, unweighted
- Inter-channel Crosstalk: > 80 dB at 1 kHz
- Input Impedance: MM: 47k Ω, MC: 50-1050 Ω
- Output Impedance: Unbalanced: 150 Ω, Balanced: 150 Ω per leg
- Input Sensitivity at 1 kHz, 4mV Input: 40 dB: 5 mV for 500mV output, 50 dB: 5 mV for 1.5 Volts output, 60 dB: 5 mV for 3 Volts output
- Input Sensitivity at 1 kHz, 1V Output: 40 dB: 10 mV for 1.0 Volt output, 50 dB: 3.5 mV for 1.0 Volt output, 60 dB: 1.8 mV for 1.0 Volt output
- Total Gain: 40 dB / 50 dB / 60 dB (unbalanced output), 46 dB / 56 dB / 66 dB (balanced output)
- Rumble Filter: 40 Hz high pass, 18 dB /oct.
- AC Power Requirement: Standby: 0 watts, Power On: 7 watts, 115 VAC or 230 VAC 50 – 60 Hz
- Dimensions: Width: 220 mm, Depth: 254 mm, Height, with feet: 51 mm, Height, without feet: 45 mm,
- Weight: Net: 1.8kg, Shipping: 3.1 kg
We have one of these for demonstration so come in for a listen.
The view another phono stage in our range try MoFi
To read an independent review go to Australian HiFi